During the tenure of its first strategic plan (2011 – 2014), the MARPs Network Secretariat (MNS) was set up, and working as the operational hub of the Network, coordinated a range of pioneer interventions under four core objectives of;
“The Local Non-Governmental Partnerships for sustained country leadership in Uganda”
. Also known as the Local Capacity Initiative (LCI), this 3-year PEPFAR-funded project aims at increasing access of HIV and AIDS services for KPs with a focus on sex workers (SWs) and men who have sex with men (MSM). These sub-categories have a disproportionate burden of HIV. The HIV prevalence among SWs is 35-37% while that among MSM is 13.7%. Over 40-50% of the new HIV infections in Uganda come from those two sources (UAC/MOH 2014, Cranes survey 2010). Since its inception in April 2015, the LCI project is building institutional capacities of 8 MARPs organisations in three districts of central Uganda – Kampala, Mukono and Wakiso.
2. HIV/TB (UGA-C-TASO) – a 3-year Global Fund project aimed at increasing uptake of HIV and TB services among key affected populations (KAPs) in 24 districts of Uganda. The target districts include: Amolatar, Apac, Arua, Buikwe, Buvuma, Buyende, Dokolo, Gulu, Jinja, Kaberamaido, Kalangala, Kaliro, Kampala, Kasese, Kayunga, Namayingo, Mayuge, Mbale, Mbarara, Mukono, Nakasongola, Serere, Tororo and Wakiso.
3. Health Systems Strengthening (UGA-S-TASO) – a 2-year Global Fund project aimed at increasing uptake of HIV and TB services among key affected populations (KAPs) in 28 districts of Uganda. The target districts include: Abim, Amudat, Arua, Bugiri, Bundibugyo, Busia, Buyende, Gulu, Iganga, Jinja, Kaabong, Kabarole, Kaliro, Kampala, Kamuli, Kasese, Kitgum, Kotido, Lira, Luuka, Mayuge, Mbarara, Moroto, Nakapiripirit, Namutumba, Napak, Wakiso, Yumbe.
- Community Scorecard District Disseminations Call for Action on KP Issues
- Key and Priority Population Programming on the National Stage
- How close are we to the 2020 HIV target?
- Why Key and Priority Populations should be prioritized in the strategy to end HIV/AIDS
- Organisations that provide health care treatment for LGBTQ and Key populations in Uganda